On Saturday, 29 August 2015 at 13:06:58 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
On Saturday, 29 August 2015 at 12:59:59 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
I'm happy with the codegen the way it is, it is good enough for me,
but let's not make mountains out of hills.

But the fact is that many people are not. Even the core language team,
who doesn't want their compiler to get 30% slower on the next release.

LOL. I've actually run into a fun problem with the program that I use to
update dmd on my box. It needs root permissions to install dmd, so it
does sudo up front to get the password and then reruns it before every
command to reset the sudo timer. Before dmd switched to the D front-end,
that worked, and I didn't have to type in my password again. So, I could
just kick off the update program and leave. However, after the switch to
D, the Phobos build and tests take longer than 5 minutes (or whatever
the exact sudo timeout is), and I keep having to rerun my program to
update dmd, because I run it and forget about it, and sudo eventually
times out waiting for me to type in the password and terminates the
update program. If my computer were faster, this wouldn't be a problem,
but it worked prior to the move to D, and it doesn't now. So, from that
standpoint, the 30% loss of speed in dmd is already costing me.

I think there's a way to increase the default timeout. :-)