On Tuesday, 1 September 2015 at 17:14:44 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
It's been mentioned before that there really isn't much point in using C when you can use D. Even if you completely avoid the GC and the standard library, you're _still_ ahead of where you'd be with C, and you can call C functions trivially. So, you can definitely use D as a better C; you just lose out on a lot of cool stuff that D has to offer beyond that. But D has a lot to offer over C even without using any of that stuff.

One of the first projects I used D for was back in college a number of years ago where I got sick of some of the issues I was having with C++ and went with D because it gave me stuff like array bounds checking. I was using very few of D's features (heck, D2 was quite young at that point, and I don't think that ranges had been introduced to Phobos yet at that point, so the standard library was seriously lacking anyway), but it was still easier to use D.

- Jonathan M Davis

worthy of a quick blogpost sometime?  Laeeth.