On Wednesday, 16 September 2015 at 20:44:00 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 9/16/2015 7:16 AM, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
On 28/08/2015 22:59, Walter Bright wrote:
People told me I couldn't write a C compiler, then told me I couldn't write a C++ compiler. I'm still the only person who has ever implemented a complete C++ compiler (C++98). Then they all (100%) laughed at me for
starting D, saying nobody would ever use it.

My whole career is built on stepping over people who told me I couldn't
do anything and wouldn't amount to anything.

So your whole career is fundamentally based not on bringing value to the software world, but rather merely proving people wrong? That amounts to living your professional life in thrall of other people's validation, and it's not
commendable at all. It's a waste of your potential.

It is only worthwhile to prove people wrong when it brings you a considerable amount of either monetary resources or clout - and more so than you would have
got doing something else with your time.

It's not clear to me that was always the case throughout your career... was it?

Wow, such an interpretation never occurred to me. I will reiterate that I worked on things that I believed had value and nobody else did. I.e. I did not need validation from others.

Yeah, I was a bit stunned that that is what Bruno took from your post. I don't think anybody would question that writing a C or C++ compiler in the '80s and '90s had value, and I'm sure you did pretty well off them, considering you retired at 42 (http://www.drdobbs.com/architecture-and-design/how-i-came-to-write-d/240165322).

Your point is that nobody thought _you_ or you _alone_ could do these valuable things, and you repeatedly proved them wrong. Those doubting you in this thread, about improving the dmd backend so it's competitive with llvm/gcc while still having time to work on the frontend, may or may not turn out to be right, but you certainly seem to have a good track record at proving such doubters wrong.