On Tuesday, 6 October 2015 at 19:42:08 UTC, Jacob wrote:
There are many programs out there that use some sort of scripting capabilities.

I've been wanting to write an app that exposes a scripting like environment D, lua, or some other fast language to the user.

But there are two requirements:

1. The user has access to all objects created in app. e.g., if I create a class X in the app then the user can instantiate X in the script without having to recreate it. (the script then, is sort of an extension of the app)

I don't mind actually having to expose X to the script, but it should be easy.

2. It should be fast. When it is "recompiled" it shouldn't take more than a few seconds. It also shouldn't require a re-initialization of everything.

Can D do this easily?

You know, you can use D as a scripting language. On Linux, you do something like put

#!/bin/rdmd

at the beginning of the file, mark it is executable, and then you can run it. I don't know what you need to put on the top to make it work on Windows.

These days, I write most of my scripts in D.

- Jonathan M Davis