On Thursday, 8 October 2015 at 14:02:58 UTC, Chris wrote:
On Thursday, 8 October 2015 at 13:45:43 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
On Thursday, 8 October 2015 at 13:15:18 UTC, Chris wrote:
That's what I've been doing for 2-3 years now thanks to D. I use D as the core and everything else is glued onto the D core. D is actually pretty good at this. Since it's cross-platform, I can use the same code base everywhere. I don't need to worry about UIs or the like.

Yes, I think this is the more scalable approach for both D, C++ and Rust.

For my use case (virtual world simulation) I'll probably end up using the first production level language that can provide tight asm.js codege, IEEE754-2008 support and guarantee reproducible results between client and server. But maybe I'll end up having to using a JIT on the server... I don't think there are any obvious alternatives at the moment. Maybe Rust will get there first.

It'd be nice to have asm.js or even JS.

Look at Adam Ruppe's D to JavaScript compiler. It hasn't been maintained, but it was a very interesting experiment.

I wish there were more interest in having LDC generate JS via LLVM a la emscripten. Some serious people think it's not that difficult.