On Tue, 05 Jan 2016 22:13:56 +0100, Jacob Carlborg wrote:

> On 2016-01-05 19:05, Chris Wright wrote:
>
>> In order for me to use D more, I would need Unreal Engine bindings with
>> editor and serialization integration, probably, and that's hard. Unreal
>> uses annotations for this, which are macros that do nothing; you read
>> the annotations by parsing the C++ source.
>
> It would be possible to do that in D as well, with user defined
> attributes.

Well, yes, I do know about D attributes. Creating the attributes is easy.
Integrating them into the editor and build system is the tricky part. For
instance, it could be the case that the editor is hard-coded to accept
fields only from C++ source code. There's some amount of code generation
going on, and I don't know how to replicate that in D. I don't know if
it's even documented.

Contrast that with, say, Urho3D, where there's not much to do besides
wrapping C++ types and functions.