On Tuesday, 12 January 2016 at 20:04:26 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 01/12/2016 03:01 PM, John Colvin wrote:
On Tuesday, 12 January 2016 at 19:28:36 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 01/12/2016 02:13 PM, John Colvin wrote:
a<=b and b<=a must also be false.

Would the advice "Only use < and == for partially-ordered data" work?
-- Andrei

If by that you mean "Only use <= or >= on data that defines a total ordering"* I guess it would work, but it has some pretty big downsides:

1) Annoying to use.
2) You have to use the opCmp return 0 (which normally means a[<>]=b &&
b[<>]=a) to mean "not comparable".
3) Not enforceable. Because of 2 you'll always get true if you use >= or
<= on any a pair that doesn't have a defined ordering.
4) inefficient (have to do both < and == separately which can be a lot
more work than <=).

*would be safer to say "types that define", but strictly speaking...

I'd be in favor of giving people the option to disable the use of <= and >= for specific data. It's a simple and logical approach. -- Andrei

Having thought about this a bit more, it doesn't fix the problem:

It doesn't enable custom float types that are on par with builtins, doesn't enable transparent "missing-value" types and doesn't make tsbockmans checked integer types (or other custom types) work properly and transparently with builtin floats. The points 1, 2 and 4 from above still stand. Also - the big problem - it requires antisymmetry, which means no preorders.

One of the great things about D's opCmp and opEquals is that it separates `a==b` from `a<=b && b<=a`, which enables it to express types without antisymmetric ordering (see original post for examples), what you're describing would be a frustrating situation where you have to choose between breaking antisymmetry and breaking totality, but never both.

Please consider the second design I proposed? It's small, simple, has no impact on existing code and works in the right direction (library types can emulate / act as replacements for builtins) as opposed to the other way (library types are second class).