On 20 January 2016 at 10:49, deadalnix via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 19 January 2016 at 20:29:42 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
>>
>> While I am not in the mood for mudslinging or making a heated discussion
>> out of this, I have to agree with Daniel and Manu here. If I remember
>> correctly, you never really provided any justification (including during the
>> original discussion back when the feature was introduced) as to why just
>> using the normal means of name resolution and disambiguation in D – the
>> module system – is not good enough for this.
>>
>> It's fine if you just say "I had a hunch that the added complexity would
>> be worth it by making some situations more convenient, even though I can't
>> provide a concrete example". Of course that might not be particularly
>> persuasive, but it's your call in the end. But if you keep dodging the
>> question, this discussion will never come to an end.
>>
>>  — David
>

> Isn't the fact that this is what they do in C++ good enough ? I mean, if it
> wasn't a desirable feature, the C++ code writer would probably not have used
> it.

The C++ namespace semantic doesn't have a proper analogy in D, and the
D code is already organised into modules anyway making mirroring of
the C++ semantic irrelevant.
We don't mirror C/C++ semantics in other facets of the bindings, we
just make it link. There's no reason to deviate from that pattern
here.
Nobody seems to want to address the problem points I raise in my last
email though. If it was benign, I wouldn't care, but it causes way
more harm than good.