On Thursday, 11 February 2016 at 16:39:14 UTC, Joakim wrote:
I wouldn't call Swift specialized, maybe only because it only runs on OS X, iOS and linux right now. So Linus would predict that Go and Rust may do well now because they're specialized, but will be hit hard if their niche collapses and they don't become more general-purpose before then (which I don't think they can do). You seem to think that's not a real concern, that the growth from specialization is worth it. Let's see who's right. :)

I don't think there is any such thing as general purpose programming languages. They all get sucked into a niche.