On Wednesday, 9 March 2016 at 22:49:28 UTC, Jeremy DeHaan wrote:
Hey all,

I'm trying to think of good project ideas for this years GSoC, and one in particular I thought would be a great was working on and improving the GC. I'm not sure what the scope of this project would be like, but at the moment I am thinking writing a generational collector would be a good place to start.

http://www.infognition.com/blog/2014/the_real_problem_with_gc_in_d.html

Good luck with generational GC...

I think the best possible improvement for GC is making it lock-free. Currently, GC lock cause some serious performance penalties for multithreaded code when frequent allocations take place.