On Monday, 25 April 2016 at 21:20:04 UTC, Bienlein wrote:
Hello,

I've been busy with other things for about a year and would like to ask some questions to catch up with latest language/library additions in D. Looking through the change logs simply appeared to be a bit tedious. My questions might look a bit like asking pain point questions on purpose, but it's really only about catching up with the status on some issues:

Thanks for any answers.
Regards, Bienlein

To be frank, if you are using D for anything more than a throwaway hobby project, I have to tell you, D is a failed language, so stop wasting your time. The people who think that one day D is going to replace or threaten C++, or for that matter any other programming language, are delusional. No offense to all those who have spent great amount of time contributing to D, but people need to accept reality.

Five years ago Rust was not even a blip on the radar; however, over the years it has gained steady momentum. It has a larger and ever-growing users and contributors, as well as many PL researchers that will ensure the language is future-proof for the next 10-20 years and beyond. If you are running away from C++, Rust should be your first choice as a systems programming language. And with all the 'improvements' that C++ has received, and will receive, there is really not much room left for D.

D also has many flaws, and they don't know how to fix them or won't, specially not without breaking backward compatibility. If you have a GC that is not optional, then you don't have a systems programming language. They finally recognized that, and decided to remove all GC from Phobos so that they case say "see, no GC." Even the basic containers that are available in C++ are missing in Phobos. Why? Because of allocators, which are in experimental stage. How many years did that take? Over five years. Good luck implementing some fancy container and hope you won't have to rewrite it again in the future. Nowadays they're spending time implementing stupid features that nobody cares about or needs. And why DMD still uses its own back-end and not GCC or LLVM is beyond me. I guess you look really good on your resume for reinventing such a big wheel, but it's a foolish and arrogant mistake that has not benefited D. And the idea of a foundation was proposed many years ago, but I suppose back then people were fantasizing about the day that Facebook would poor millions of dollars into D, but that never happened. And Facebook's decision to no longer host DConf was a heavy blow. The list goes on and on and one...