On Wednesday, 4 May 2016 at 04:39:46 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

One of the things that comes with Haskell has nothing to do with functional programming. It's the minimalist syntax. However, I find that they've gone too far with this, and it's difficult for me to read. Haskell people, however, consider this 'clean'.

It is actually no harder to read after some practice than a language with C-like syntax. In general, the more languages you practice, the less important (and more annoying) syntax redundancies become.