On Monday, 9 May 2016 at 20:16:59 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
I oppose this change. You'd be better off not having unsigned types at all than this mess, which was Java's choice.

The language forces usage of unsigned types. Though in my experience it's relatively easy to fight back including interfacing with C that uses unsigned types exclusively.

But then there are more problems created.

I've seen no problem from using signed types so far. The last prejudice left is usage of ubyte[] for buffers. How often one looks into individual bytes in some abstract buffer?