On Sunday, 17 July 2016 at 06:05:27 UTC, qznc wrote:
On Saturday, 16 July 2016 at 21:45:17 UTC, maik klein wrote:
I was actually thinking of contributing something bigger as part of my bachelor thesis. (Not sure if I am allowed to do that)

What I wanted to do is to translate a big part of Rust's std to D. Stuff like Rc, Arc, Box, Optional + all the necessary tools for ownership semantics.

Also implement data structures that work with ownership semantics (Rc, Box, Arc etc) like Vec, HashMap.

Add ownership semantics to phobos, for example a lot of stuff in phobos can't be used with non copyable types. (A lot of things rely on copying)

If I were your advisor, I would suggest not to think about Phobos. Just build your own library and publish via dub. Getting a contribution into Phobos is not a good use of time for a bachelor thesis.

Apart from that: Ownership semantics as a library is a great topic! Go for it.

+1