On Tuesday, 28 February 2017 at 21:50:11 UTC, Jack Stouffer wrote:
What a long, roundabout path we've taken to end up back where we started: shipping binaries in a sandboxed environment.

Portable object-files is something that that people have tried to achieve since the 1980s, but vendors have always undermined it. If this goes through then it will be the first time we have a portable object files with backing of the major vendors. Even Microsoft.

The Java VM essentially ended up as a single vendor solution and didn't live up to it's hype in the browser.