That's what C# does. I always liked that a lot, and even argued in favor of doing the same in D (ages ago). It got shot down way back when, so unfortunately, I don't think any reversal is going to happen.

Getting in the way of UFCS and generic code are fair points, although they don't stike me as insurmountable. I think that if D's ref/out params had worked that way from the beginning we would've already hod solutions to those matters. And it does kinda bug me when generic code ends up being a reason to not have a nice benefitial feature for non-generic code, just fwiw :(

In response to any claim that this isn't a real problem in practice, I submit the possibility that, if it indeed isn't a real problem, maybe that's *because* of people (like Stefan and ketmar) simply avoiding the feature entirely so that it *doesn't* become a problem.