On Monday, 19 June 2017 at 13:36:01 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:

I'd say the Dub repository is this, or at least should be at least the basis for it. Ceylon has Herd, JVM languages otherwise has Maven Central and JCenter, C++ now has Conan. However, I think Cargo for Rust is current the technology leader in mixing a curated central repository. Dub could usefully be split into two a curated part where stuff gets removed as well as added, with review and possible rejection before adding, and a free for all section from which is never lost and can be added to freely. Cargo and Ceylon effectively have this. The trick is not to actually have a free for all added bit (a la PyPI) but to allow for DVCS accessed packages.

dub is more like conda, Anaconda's package manager.

What I mean is one thing that someone can download and install one file and everything just works. For instance, one download and a (Windows) user has DMD/LDC/DUB, DlangScience/Mir/Lubeck, and some of the database and plotting libraries installed. Basically, reduce the amount of time for a Python/R/Matlab user to get up and running on D. Would help get new users.