On Friday, 23 June 2017 at 19:38:11 UTC, MysticZach wrote:
On Friday, 23 June 2017 at 18:42:55 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
On 6/23/17 2:24 PM, Moritz Maxeiner wrote:
I'm all for this syntax, just one spec/implementation question: If the new contract syntax (formally) shares grammar rules with assert, won't that cause more work for people who want to update the assert syntax later (since they will have to take contracts into account)?

No. Asserts are the meat of in/out contracts, these are actually asserts. Anything you do to the assert grammar should be done here as well.

I agree. I can understand wanting to pass in/out violations to a different handler behind the scenes. But I don't see why that should affect the grammar.

Because coupling the new contract syntax and assert syntax in the grammar means that changing assert syntax will affect the new contract syntax (when it shouldn't, as they are semantically decoupled).