On 23/10/2017 11:02 PM, Adam Wilson wrote:
On 10/23/17 05:08, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
* Database drivers for the common databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQLite)
compatible with vibe.d
* Database driver abstraction on top of the above drivers, perhaps some
lightweight ORM library

I've been looking pretty extensively at these two items recently.

If the database drivers are compatible with Vibe.d AND we wish to provide a common abstraction layer for them (presumably via Phobos) then order for the abstraction layer to aware of the whether the driver is making a blocking or non-blocking call we must include Vibe.D in the abstraction layer. Ergo, we must include at least the vibe-core package in Phobos, or more preferably, DRT.

I had heard noises about that a few months ago. Anything happening on that front?

An event loop is a key piece of a project (Async/Await) that I want to work on, and having it in DRuntime would make that project fantastically simpler. IMHO, the bulk of the time required is in getting an event loop into DRT, the rest is a LOT of relatively straightforward compiler lowering.

IMHO, DRT is in significant need of an event loop system. This would allow us to simplify a large number of problems (Async/Await, GUI's, IO, etc). As near as I can tell, the problem isn't so much doing the work, but getting the required sign-off's for inclusion into DRT.

Another problem that I've been made aware of is that vibe-core may not be ideal in certain situations. As this would be landed in DRT itself this would obviously need to be addressed.

What would the appetite be for working together to come up with a reasonably generic event loop for DRT that vibe and other systems could then leverage?

*whispers* heyyy, heard about SPEW[0]?

[0] https://github.com/Devisualization/spew/blob/master/src/base/cf/spew/event_loop/defs.d