On Monday, 1 January 2018 at 18:32:37 UTC, Pjotr Prins wrote:
On Monday, 1 January 2018 at 02:02:03 UTC, rjframe wrote:
That's probably not the best method of effecting change.

It killed off the discussion nicely, indeed.

I am just going to share my thoughts a little. Github, in my opinion, is hype and even though I depend on it today, I am trying to decrease that dependency. We should build a world that is not dependent on single companies. I am not downplaying what github has done for us (I am one of the early users) - but they have just become a little too important for free software to be comfortable. The github issue tracker is wanting anyway.

D is a great language. I just spent 6 months in C++ and the last month worked on a D multi-threaded project again. I'll blog about this soon, but the short of it is that I am very grateful to Walter, Andrei, Kai, Ian, Johan and others for creating a language that fits our needs so well! D software is doing critical work around the world every second. D is probably not a language for the hype community - let them have Go and Rust. I honestly don't care. And D should not care. Great programmers gyrate to powerful languages and toolboxes. I love I can read the source code of Phobos and understand it. I love I get low level access to stack variables. I love I can manipulate the heap in any way I want. I love we can target GPU and KNL. I love we have Maybe even though it is called Nullable...

A great programmer can handle D fine. As it is. Let's not try to be the next hype. Let's keep writing great software.

+10000