On Sunday, 28 January 2018 at 13:50:03 UTC, Michael wrote:
On Friday, 26 January 2018 at 09:02:03 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
While this analysis of language popularity on Github is enlightening:

http://www.benfrederickson.com/ranking-programming-languages-by-github-users/

I found the older analysis of how programmers transition (or adopt new languages) more interesting:

https://blog.sourced.tech/post/language_migrations/

Like how people move from Rust to Go. And from Go to Python:

https://blog.sourced.tech/post/language_migrations/sum_matrix_22lang_eig.svg

Also the growth of Java is larger than I would anticipate:

https://blog.sourced.tech/post/language_migrations/eigenvect_stack_22lang.png

Granted, Java has gotten quite a few convenience features over the years.

I find it fascinating that C# is in the "languages to avoid" section, because from my perspective it's receiving more and more adoption as the modern alternative to Java, in a way that Go and Rust are not. Different markets and all of that. So I can't see why C# would be seen as a language that is dropping in popularity (though I don't use it myself).

I do worry that, having been using D for about 3 1/2 years now, that the perceptions of D outside of this community don't seem to be changing much. It does seem to make a huge difference to have a big company behind a language, purely for the "free advertisement". Most people at my university, outside of the computer science department, that are using languages like Python and R and MATLAB the most, are very aware of Rust and Go, but not D. I wonder if we do need to pay more attention to attracting new users just to get people talking about it.

This has been mentioned multiple times, D really needs some kind of killer application.

On my line of work having Go on the skills list is slowly becoming a requirement, due to Docker and Kubernetes adoption on cloud infrastructures.

The new OpenGL debugger for Android from Google has been re-written in Go.

Go and Rust are also having a relevant role in Fuchsia, e.g. the TCP/IP stack is 100% Go code.

The new regexp engine from Visual Studio Code is written in Rust.

The Go plugin for Visual Studio Code is written by Microsoft themselves.

D has PowerNex as an example OS, but Redox looks more pleasing to the eye, in what concerns attracting new developers to the project.

Just wondering if mir or easier GPGPU programming could be that killer application.