On Friday, 20 April 2018 at 18:30:30 UTC, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
On Friday, 20 April 2018 at 05:32:32 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
On Friday, 20 April 2018 at 00:11:25 UTC, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
On Thursday, 19 April 2018 at 18:45:41 UTC, kinke wrote:
[...]
[...]

I think the order of operations is wrong, here is an example from containers:

allocator.dispose(buckets);
static if (useGC)
            GC.removeRange(buckets.ptr);

If GC triggers between dispose and removeRange, it will likely segfault.

Indeed! It's also the only place where this is shuffled around, all other parts of the containers library do this properly. The thing I wonder about is though, that the crash usually appeared in an explicit GC.collect() call when the application was not running multiple threads. At that point, the GC - as far as I know - couldn't have triggered after the buckets were disposed of and the ranges were removed. But maybe I am wrong with that assumption.
This crash would be explained perfectly by that bug.

Turns out that was indeed the case! I created a small testcase which managed to very reliably reproduce the issue on all machines that I tested it on. After reordering the dispose/removeRange, the crashes went away completely. I submitted a pull request to the containers library to fix this issue: https://github.com/dlang-community/containers/pull/107

I will also try to get the patch into the components in Debian and Ubuntu, so we can maybe have a chance of updating the software center metadata for Ubuntu before 18.04 LTS releases next week. Since asgen uses HashMaps for pretty much everything, an most of the time with GC-managed elements, this should improve the stability of the application greatly.

Thanks a lot for the help in debugging this, I learned a lot about DRuntime internals in the process. Also, it is no exaggeration to say that the appstream-generator project would not be written in D (there was a Rust prototype once...) and I would probably not be using D as much (or at all) without the helpful community around it.
Thank you :-)