On 7/31/2018 1:12 AM, Manu wrote:
Given your favourite example:
----
module a;
extern(C++, ns) void foo();
----
module b;
extern(C++, ns) void foo();
-----
module c;
import a, b;
foo(); // error: ambiguous
ns.foo(); // error, ambiguous (obviously)
a.ns.foo(); // naturally, this works... it's the D module that
correctly organises the symbol. 'ns' is worthless here

You can write it like this:

----
module a;
extern(C++, ns) void foo();
alias foo = ns.foo;
----
module b;
extern(C++, ns) void foo();
alias foo = ns.foo;
-----

import a,b;
a.foo();  // calls a.ns.foo()
b.foo();  // calls b.ns.foo()

When a C++ namespace spans modules (ie, the C++ namespace encloses the
whole library's api), translation to D looks like this:

module ns.submodule;
extern(C++, ns) void foo();

The name is:
ns.submodule.ns.foo(); // <- ns is already present at the head of the
qualified name, there's no point repeating it.

So don't repeat it. There is no particular reason to use that naming convention for an ns namespace. As I wrote to Atila, using 'std' as a package name isn't going to work very well anyway because it's already used as a root package in Phobos.

The converse case where modules are divided by their namespace (which
naturally maps to D modules):

module cpplib.ns;
extern(C++, ns) void foo();

Now the name is:
cpplib.ns.ns.foo(); // <- why would anyone want that?

Why indeed. Don't do that. I don't see any reason to. We've put things like string.h in core.stdc.string, and nobody has complained they cannot just type "import string;". It works fine. Allow me to refer to:

    https://github.com/dlang/druntime/blob/master/src/core/stdcpp/exception.d

It's where std::exception goes -> core.stdcpp.exception

In it, you'll find some extern(C++,std) declarations. The file can be imported
as:

    import core.stdcpp.exception;

or:

    import core.stdcpp.exception : std;

or any of a number of other ways to import it and set up aliases (if one prefers) to use as shortcuts to the name.

But the redundancy is more than a nuisance in certain forms of scanning meta.

As I mentioned, you can use alias to refer to names in other scopes.

And got forbid the case where C++ namespaces are embedded (namespace
for lib name, another for the module), and we have this:

module lib_ns.module_ns;
extrern(C++, lib_ns) extern(C++, module_ns) void foo();

The name is:
lib_ns.module_ns.lib_ns.module_ns.foo(); // <- ....words can't even

I have no idea why it would be necessary to write such. I suspect you are unfamiliar with the uses of 'alias' to refer from one scope to names in another.

Was that a deliberate
strategy? I feel like that strategy's been used before.

You repeatedly impugn my motives and/or my mental stability. While that doesn't bother me, it really does not help your case. Please just stick to the technical issue. Believe it or not, I really want to help you (and Laeeth and Atila) be successful with this.