On Wednesday, 22 August 2018 at 23:53:46 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 04:24:17PM -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
On 8/22/2018 10:28 AM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> I don't argue against the usefulness of the features that > github provides, but I'm also wary of the fact that it's > basically a walled garden -- there's no simple way I know of > to extract data like pull requests, comments, > cross-references, etc.. I mean, it's *possible* to write a > web crawler that does just that, but such functionality is > second-class, and one might argue, that it is possible at > all is merely a happy accident, since github's very design > seems to be geared at drawing people to centralize > everything on github. It's not quite at the point of vendor > lock-in, but it's certainly uncomfortably close, in my view.

As for github comments, they get echoed to me as emails. So I have an email archive of them.

That's good to know.

Still, an export function that will give you your data in some computer-parseable format would have been nice.

They have an API for taht, and it looks like people have made programs to create backups of it with the api.

https://developer.github.com/v3/
https://hackage.haskell.org/package/github-backup