On Monday, 17 September 2018 at 15:47:14 UTC, Joakim wrote:
On Sunday, 16 September 2018 at 15:41:41 UTC, tide wrote:
On Sunday, 16 September 2018 at 15:11:42 UTC, Joakim wrote:
I say that almost 30% drop in PC sales over the last 7

Might be, but so is trying to convince everyone your predictions are correct so they will focus their work on the issues important to you.

Not at all, because if my predictions are correct, this language will disappear along with the PC platform it's built on. And I've never suggested anybody work on anything "important to [me]," my original post even stated that D may never do well on mobile.

You are making your arguments to fit your desires.

Plateaus almost never happen, it's not the natural order of things.

OK the market stabilises.

I don't see how you changing the word you used changes anything about the underlying phenomenon: that doesn't happen.

You're seriously suggesting that markets never stabilise, say oil prices stay steady for a few years or some such?

Most households have more devices than ever before, and hardware is only getting cheaper. The idea that people will have to choose just one device is plainly wrong.

You need to get out in the world a bit more. The majority of smartphones these days are bought in emerging markets where _nobody in their home has ever owned a PC or used the internet_. I've talked to these working stiffs in developing markets, you clearly haven't.

And what happens when the emerging markets mature? Do they still just cling on to one smart phone in the house? Or are they yearning for more technology?

I find it strange that you think the PC won't also be rolled up by mobile like this.

Can you put a 3GB hard drive in your phone?

Why would I ever want to do this when I noted my phone has 128 GBs of space? ;) If you mean 3 _TB_, yes, I simply attach my slim 1 TB external drive and back up whatever I want over USB 3.0.

So you're not averse to having some external hardware sat on your desk. Hmmm.

Or a high end graphics card?

Smartphones come with very powerful graphics cards these days, plenty powerful enough to drive lots of graphic loads.

Not if you're into high end gaming.

Or a soundcard with balanced outputs?

Some phones come with high-end DACs and the like, or you could always attach something externally if you really needed to.

There's no such thing as professional audio breakout box for android AFAIK. Up until a few years ago the problem was Android couldn't do low latency audio, I'm not sure if the situation has changed.

http://authorearnings.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Slide29.jpg

And how does that contradict anything I said?

It contradicts your statement...

"print is pretty much dead"

If you can make the argument that print is dead and ebooks booming when print still outsells ebooks in unit sales 2 to 1, and even more than that if you look at revenue then you need to see a shrink. :)

ebooks have peaked while print keeps growing, whereas the article I linked and this guy's data show ebooks growing and print continuing to decline.

You didnt read the article carefully enough. The growth is in "adult fiction", the market as a whole has fallen.

I never said ebook sales had passed print yet, only linked to that article saying that it's hard to measure now but it's likely print is still declining, and that print is effectively dead, as it's only going to keep declining into irrelevance.

So it's hard to measure but it's definitely going to die. LOL.

and yes that's with indie published books included.

Another interesting thing from that report was the average price of indie ebooks was $2.95

http://authorearnings.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Slide26.jpg

So even selling ebooks for peanuts cant catch them up.

They aren't selling them for "peanuts," they've simply stripped out a bunch of legacy costs like paper, editors, publishers, and the like. The reason authors still prefer indie ebooks is they get more money per book even at that lower price, as the rest of the supply chain and distribution had squeezed them down to only 5-15% of the much higher print price.

How much profit the author makes is irrelevant. The point is you can buy an ebook for an average of $2.95 or a print book for (uninformed guess) $8. And yet more people still choose the print book.

And this is what even now you dont understand. People like real books, they like the feel of it the immediacy, the intimacy. They like their kindles too.

It's not one or the other. I cant believe you dont understand that.