On 2009-12-15 23:04:38 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu <seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org> said:

Michel Fortin wrote:
On 2009-12-15 22:41:19 -0500, "Steven Schveighoffer" <schvei...@yahoo.com> said:

2. the choice of inout is not my first choice, I'd prefer a new keyword. The inout compromise was meant to subvert the "we already have too many keywords" argument (it was Janice's idea). If there are no objections, I prefer what the DIP proposed, vconst. All I'm saying is, reusing inout is *not* a very important part of the proposal.

Seconded. In fact, we could just remove inout from the keyword list if we care about not augmenting the number of keywords.

Regardless of legacy, I personally find "inout" more suggestive - the qualifier goes from input to output. vconst doesn't quite tell me anything. I don't even know what "v" stands for.

autoconst?

It goes in the same vein as "auto ref" Walter just introduced to do mostly the same thing with ref (but limited to function templates).

--
Michel Fortin
michel.for...@michelf.com