On 2010-01-26 22:34:38 -0500, "Steven E. Harris" <s...@panix.com> said:

KennyTM~ <kenn...@gmail.com> writes:

Users can reassign most keyboard shortcut in Mac OS X.

That's not what I mean. There are applications where it's not possible
to bind any key to certain essential operations, such as "move the
cursor from the tree pane thing on the left to the list-like pane in the
center, and back again".

I played with iCal for a while in the Apple Store one day, amusing
myself with punishment. There's a keyboard shortcut to bring up a small
"go to date" dialog, which allows one to type in a date. But the enter
key doesn't "confirm" the dialog. I could not find any keystroke that
had the same effect as pressing "OK", or whatever the accepting button
is labeled. Is that a cruel joke?

That looks like an oversight. It looks like the date entry field eats all keyboard events. I agree it's particularly bad, especially since it's the typical interface element you'd want to access with the keyboard. But I must also say I don't see that often in OS X applications.

There's still a way out with the keyboard: activate the VoiceOver spoken interface (Cmd-Fn-F5), then use its shortcuts (Ctrl-Alt-Arrows) to navigate to the control you want. But it's definitely overkill for something that should just work.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.for...@michelf.com