On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 20:17:09 -0700, Jonathan M Davis
<jmdavisp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I, for one, _want_ case statements to be able to fall through. It would
> >> be horribly painful in many cases if they couldn't. Now, requiring a
> >> separate statement like fallthrough or somesuch instead of break might
> >> not be a bad idea, but requiring that each case end with a break would
> >> seriously restrict the usefulness of switch statements.
> >
> > I agree. But the basic idea is to do extra work if you're doing
> > something unusual, and falling through is unusual.
>
> Certainly a good principle and one that D holds to for the most part -
> certainly far better than many other languages.

Follow the principle too much, though, and you end up in the Ruby (more
specifically, Rails) camp. It's amazing when you don't need to do
something unusual, but *man* have I had problems trying to do what I
want with Rails.

That said, having used C for a significant period of time, I'm well
aware of the fall-through semantics and use it from time to time, but I
wouldn't be opposed to removing implicit fall-through from the language.

Fall-through doesn't strike me as a big issue in and of itself, but
dogmatic languages aren't fun to work with either.