On 25/07/10 12:11 PM, levenshtein wrote:
Walter Bright Wrote:

Justin Johansson wrote:
It sounds like the D PL has invented the range idiom unlike any other PL.

Pointer programming is deeply embedded into the C++ culture, and iterators segue
nicely into that culture. For D, however, programming revolves around arrays,
and ranges fit naturally into that.

It'll take years, but I'll be very surprised if ranges don't filter into many
major languages, as well as other ideas that D has proven to be solid.

At least the C++ fellows already stole your 'auto' type inference and the new
template functionality. C# stole your delegate system. They even use the same
terms. The world dominance already started.

Not to belittle D, but type inference was around long before D came on the scene, and I don't think they got the use of the auto keyword from D (auto was already an (essentially unused) keyword in C++).