Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
The scene was of the main character driving on a busy highway into a crowded metropolis. The meaning was to question the veracity and meaning of perception, existence, and human interaction - all of which are central themes in the movie.

But if I showed you 15 minutes of me driving around on the freeway, you'd think I was torturing you.

It's like that unauthenticated Pollock painting. If it is authenticated, it's a masterpiece. If not, it's just paint dribbled on canvas. The painting is the same in either case.