On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 16:55:37 -0400, Walter Bright <newshou...@digitalmars.com> wrote:

Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
I didn't exactly mean beyond a reasonable doubt, but I think the point of not ever looking at or touching another's source is equivalent to proof of the contrary, no? I think they at least have to prove that you accessed the code :) I don't think "because the source is available online" is evidence at all, that was my point. Otherwise, you'd have to cancel your internet service just to be safe...

Right, and the source code may even reside on your disk (sheesh, I've got terabytes of stuff on disks, there may very well be source code to something on that!). Access is not proof that one looked at it.

It comes down to one's credibility, coupled with absence of other evidence of copying (like matching source text).

One other way to ensure you have evidence to the contrary is to use source control. Not only is it good for productivity and disaster recovery, but it shows perfect snapshots of how you developed the code, and the timeline of development. So even if your code *does* end up looking similar, you can show how you independently came up with the similar code.

-Steve