Well, you think wrongly. :)
If you look at the top universities worldwide, the majority of them have only one "computer programming" undergraduate degree. Sometimes it is called "Computer Science" (typical in the US), other times it is called "Computer Engineering", "Informatics Engineering", "Software Engineering", "Informatics Science" or something like that (typical in Europe), but despite the different names they are essentially the same: courses designed to _teach and educate future software engineers_.

I must nuance: as an European* "Informatics (and Applied Maths**) engineer", I can say this degree is not 'Software engineer' but indeed 'whole computer engineer' as we studied both software and hardware, to the point of building a complete (simulated) processor. Furthermore, I can't recall they told us about profiling tools, but it was 10 years ago and I skiped a few classes, so it means nothing.

* I studied in France, which has the weirdest way of educating engineers: 2 years in a 'prépa' or 'preparation school for the Engineering Schools entry exams', then 2 years of actual degree, and finally a postgraduate year *before graduating*. I say this to note that, although we were taught a lot of engineering ways, and we covered a wide range of topics, and it is oficially a 5 years degree, we did not have a lot of actual software courses time so some of it could be a bit shallow. However, my Uni was considered at the time the 2nd best of its field in France at the time, and France is renowned for its engineers in Europe.

** Don't ask, it was the name of the degree. And it had indeed a lot of math (~30%).
--
Usando el novísimo cliente de correo de Opera: http://www.opera.com/mail/