On 16/10/2010 10:50, "Jérôme M. Berger" wrote:
Russel Winder wrote:
On Wed, 2010-10-13 at 16:24 -0700, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
[ . . . ]
Proper code completion, correctly jumping to function definitions, and various
other features that IDEs generally do well tend to be quite poor in vim. It can
do many of them on some level, but for instance, while ctags does give you the
ability to jump to function declarations, it does quite poorly in the face of
identical variable names across files. There are a number of IDE features that I
would love to have and use but vim can't properly pull off. When I have a decent
IDE, I'm always torn on whether to use vim or the IDE. vim (well, gvim)
generally wins out, but sometimes the extra abilities of the IDE are just too
useful. What I'd really like is full-featured IDE with complete and completely
remappable vim bindings.

Bizarrely the single feature that fails for me in Eclipse, NetBeans and
IntelliJ IDEA that I find the single most problematic feature in my
programming life -- which means Emacs remains the one true editor -- is
formatting comments.  I seemingly cannot survive without the ability to
reformat the paragraphs of comment blocks to a given width.  Emacs
handles this trivially in all languages I use for the modes I have.  The
IDEs seem unable to provide the functionality.  Usually they end up
reformatting my entire file to some bizarre formatting that is not the
one set up for the project.  I appreciate that being able to trivially
create properly formatted comments is probably uniquely my problem
but . . .

        Same here, no IDE I've seen is able to format code and comments as
well as (X)Emacs.

                Jerome

Interesting. For anyone else who shares that opinion, what are the IDE's that you have seen? In particular, does this include JDT?

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer