On 12/19/10 11:54 AM, foobar wrote:
Andrei Alexandrescu Wrote:

Either way, I personally don't care that much for another syntax for delegates.
I personally just want to see this ugly hack removed from the standard library
and discouraged. This feature promotes a code smell. And for what, as you said
yourself, to save 4 characters?

"a>  b" vs. (a, b) { return a>  b; }

Savings: 17 characters.

I reserve the right to dislike it even if it was 20 characters. The fact that
it's a useful hack doesn't make it smell less.

It doesn't smell. You believe it does only because you mistakenly believe it's not hygienic.

D should be consistent with only ONE delegate syntax. This is why Ruby reads
like poetry to its followers and c++ is like carving letters in stone.

Also, Ruby is well slower than C++ and other languages. It's easy to
design a beautiful language if that's the primary concern. It's
difficult to design a language when you want to keep in harmony a larger
list of desiderata.

I much prefer that the lowering you mentioned to be implemented so that
performance wise this UGLY hack will have no benefits.

The lowering will unfortunately solve little. I don't see how

sort!"a>  b"(array);

is horrible but

sort(a, b; array) { return a>  b; }

I wasn't referring to the above which still deals with the syntactic issue.
I'm talking about making:

sort!"a>b"(whatever);
and
sort(whatever, (a, b) { return a>b; });

have the same performance. Thus obviating the need for the first form.

I explained how this is much more difficult than it might seem at first sight.