On Friday, January 07, 2011 11:06:23 Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> On 1/7/11, Walter Bright <newshou...@digitalmars.com> wrote:
> >Some of them, like the hard drive LED, don't even
> >
> > indicate
> > the polarity on the connector..
>
> I hate those things. There's bunch of LEDs on the PC case - USB
> indicators, power LEDs, etc, and they all have this super-tiny
> connector and they have to be put together in a really tight place on
> the motherboard. I leave the PC speaker disconnected though, who needs
> that thing anyway? :p

It's useful for informing you that the computer is starting correctly and gives
you an idea of what's wrong if it isn't (though you can live without that if
the
computer seems to be okay). It's also useful for things like for when your CPU
is getting too warm. However, I think that it's horrific that anything in the
OS
or any program on the computer at all uses the PC speaker. It is _annoying_
when
the command-line of all things starts beeping at you because you hit backspace
too many times or something like that. At the moment, I haven't been
configuring
my kernel recently (which is _not_ a fun thing to have to keep doing on every
kernel update IMHO), but when I was, I specifically did _not_ compile in the PC
speaker driver. I wish that that were the norm. Which reminds me, while the PC
speaker is disabled in KDE, I really need to go and track down which change I
need to make where to silence it when I've booted to the console rather than
all
the way into KDE...

- Jonathan M Davis