On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 11:27:14AM -0800, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> is getting too warm. However, I think that it's horrific that anything in the
> OS
> or any program on the computer at all uses the PC speaker.

I *love* the pc speaker. It is the only kind of application alert sound I
actually want to use.

Of course, I want it to be only when I command it, not other people, but
it is still amazingly awesome.

My computer uses different tones of beeps to tell me about IMs, emails,
and other quick alerts.

> speaker is disabled in KDE, I really need to go and track down which change I
> need to make where to silence it when I've booted to the console rather than
> all

Try rmmod pcspkr to turn it off and modprobe pcspkr to turn it back on.