Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Friday, January 07, 2011 11:06:23 Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
>> On 1/7/11, Walter Bright <newshou...@digitalmars.com> wrote:
>>> Some of them, like the hard drive LED, don't even
>>>
>>> indicate
>>> the polarity on the connector..
>> I hate those things. There's bunch of LEDs on the PC case - USB
>> indicators, power LEDs, etc, and they all have this super-tiny
>> connector and they have to be put together in a really tight place on
>> the motherboard. I leave the PC speaker disconnected though, who needs
>> that thing anyway? :p
>
> It's useful for informing you that the computer is starting correctly and
> gives
> you an idea of what's wrong if it isn't (though you can live without that if
> the
> computer seems to be okay). It's also useful for things like for when your
> CPU
> is getting too warm. However, I think that it's horrific that anything in the
> OS
> or any program on the computer at all uses the PC speaker. It is _annoying_
> when
> the command-line of all things starts beeping at you because you hit
> backspace
> too many times or something like that. At the moment, I haven't been
> configuring
> my kernel recently (which is _not_ a fun thing to have to keep doing on every
> kernel update IMHO), but when I was, I specifically did _not_ compile in the
> PC
> speaker driver. I wish that that were the norm. Which reminds me, while the
> PC
> speaker is disabled in KDE, I really need to go and track down which change I
> need to make where to silence it when I've booted to the console rather than
> all
> the way into KDE...

        When I built my latest PC, I saw in the MB manual that it would use
speech synthesis on the PC speaker to report errors. So I tried to
power on the PC without having plugged either CPU or RAM and it
started to say "NO CPU FOUND! NO CPU FOUND!" in a loop with a
hilarious Asian accent and the kind of rasping voice that used to
characterized old DOS games. Pretty fun ;)

                Jerome
--
mailto:jeber...@free.fr
http://jeberger.free.fr