Jim Wrote:

> Walter Bright Wrote:
> > Forcing the module name to match the file name sounds good, but in practice
> > it
> > makes it hard to debug modules. What I like to do is to copy a suspicious
> > module
> > to foo.d (or whatever.d) and link it in explicitly, which will override the
> > breaking one. Then, I hack away at it until I discover the problem, then
> > fix the
> > original.
>

> This would admittedly impose some constraints, but I think it would
> ultimately be worth it. It makes everything much clearer and creates a bunch
> of opportunities for further development.

I don't see such benefit. First off, I don't see file/module names not matching
very often. Tools can be developed to assume such structure exists which means
more incentive to keep such structure, I believe rdmd already makes this
assumption.

It also wouldn't be hard to make a program that takes a list of files, names
and places them into the proper structure.

> I'd create a branch (in git or mercury) for that task, it's quick and dirt
> cheap, very easy to switch to and from, and you get the diff for free.

Right, using such tools is great. But what if you are like me and don't have a
dev environment set up for Phobos, but I want to fix some module? Do I have to
setup such an environment or through the file in a folder std/ just do some
work on it?

I don't really know how annoying I would find such a change, but I don't think
I would ever see at as a feature.