Am 19.01.2011 14:56, schrieb Adam Ruppe:
Andrei wrote:
  We need a package system that takes Internet distribution
into account.

Do you think something like my simple http based system would work?

Fetch dependencies. Try to compile. If the linker complains about
missing files, download them from http://somewebsite/somepath/filename,
try again from the beginning.

That'd suck horribly for bigger projects, and also when you've got a lot of dependencies, I guess.

There's no metadata, no version tracking, nothing like that, but
I don't think such things are necessary. Worst case, just download
the specific version you need for your project manually.

I don't think it's such a big burden to list the dependencies for your project.

Or, even better: combine both ideas: Automatically create and save a list of dependencies by trying (like you described). Then when you release your project, the dependency list is there and all dependencies can be fetched before building.

Cheers,
- Daniel