On 1/19/11 7:56 AM, Adam Ruppe wrote:
Andrei wrote:
  We need a package system that takes Internet distribution
into account.

Do you think something like my simple http based system would work?

Fetch dependencies. Try to compile. If the linker complains about
missing files, download them from http://somewebsite/somepath/filename,
try again from the beginning.

There's no metadata, no version tracking, nothing like that, but
I don't think such things are necessary. Worst case, just download
the specific version you need for your project manually.

I'm not sure. A friend of mine who is well versed in such issues suggested two sources of inspiration: apt-get and cpan. As a casual user of both, I can indeed say that they are doing a very good job.