On 02/04/2011 11:38 AM, David Nadlinger wrote:

I tried to explain the issue to you, but you have been quick to
dismiss any attempt to do so based on your own opinion.

You've made silly arguments about opinion yourself, stating that a
million Wikipedia users would complain if the default font setting was
used. That was what you came up instead of responding to a detailed
argument from me. Pure intellectual laziness.

You've completely ignored the problems of the variety of real-world
resolutions, monitor sizes, and preferred font sizes. You've ignored the
problems caused by designs that do not flow, especially as it relates to
zoom. You've ignored the fact that relative fonts and flow layout do not
have this problem.

You're advocating that people's explicit preferences should be ignored
in favor of designers who think the Web should act as a print medium.
You've ignored the fact that the Web was explicitly designed to not be
such a medium, and in practice cannot be due to the myriad of devices
connected to it.

maybe you'll also discover that the designers of the most frequented
sites aren't exactly complete dorks either.

I've seen tons of designs by high-profile sites, and many are pointlessly broken for me. I've seen them redesigned after having been in a workable state and then made broken by an obsession of pixel-based layout. The problem is these designers are control-freaks and don't understand the Web.