On 6/02/11 6:31 PM, Iain Buclaw wrote:
== Quote from Peter Alexander (peter.alexander...@gmail.com)'s article
Is there any plan to add vectorisation intrinsics to DMD?
I know that DMD generates vectorised instructions for array operations,
but last time I checked, these were far from optimal for aligned
float[4] objects. In fact, it appears to generate a function call for
all vector operations, regardless of size or alignment.
I believe that these intrinsics would be very beneficial to D, and this
is because I believe that one of D's biggest markets is indie game devs:
- They need a really high performance language, but are tired of C++
- They are not held back by legacy code
- They are generally risk takers, so are willing to invest in new tech
A lack on vector intrinsics in DMD gives them an extra reason to stick
with C++.

I take it you've been lurking in D.gnu then? ;)

Ha, actually I didn't know there was a D.gnu, but now that I've subscribed, I can see what made you say that :)

Actually, I'm trying to optimize part of a game I'm writing and it could greatly benefit from vectorisation.