On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 12:25:52 -0500, %u <wfunct...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Programmers are allowed to make conceptually safe functions which
are not marked as @safe, why not the same for pure functions?

Programmers can always shoot themselves in the foot anyway, if they
really want to. Why not just make it easier for them? :) (We could
allow unsafe casts, for instance.)

All casts are inherently unsafe.

Sorry, but that's the argument here...

No, that's not it. The argument is that the 'compiler knows best' mode also known as @safe can get in the way of writing high performance code. When I can prove to myself that code is safe, but the compiler can't, I have to step into "unsafe" land. To say pure functions cannot enjoy that ability is too limiting.

Note, you can *still* have pure @safe functions if you want to write code in that mode. But pure implying @safe doesn't make sense.

-Steve