On 09/03/2011 13:32, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 18:33:31 -0500, Bruno Medeiros
<brunodomedeiros+spam@com.gmail> wrote:

I'm not saying all pointer arithmetic and manipulation should be
illegal. It could be allowed, but only so long as the coder maintains
the contract of the pure attribute. So this means that you could use
pointers to manipulate whatever is transitively reachable from the
function parameters (or stuff that was created inside the pure
function), but the rest should not be accessed through pointer
arithmetic, precisely because the compiler would not be able to
determine that from the function signature.
Note that when I said "illegal" I didn't necessarily mean compiler
verified illegal code. That might be too complex to implement in the
language, so instead it might just be a unchecked contract. Breaking
that contract would result in /undefined behavior/.

Then I think we are saying the same thing :)

-Steve

Cool then :)

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer