On 2011-04-04 17:27:05 -0400, Matthias Pleh <j...@konrad.net> said:

I would like to fill this gap and create a really good D GUI library

Any thoughts, comments ... ?

Just an observation...

Cross platform libraries are fine, but they generally aren't very great either. They'll always stretch in one way or another the standard way to do things when put on a given platform. The end result will almost always look substandard when using that library in the environment it was not primarily designed for.

On the other hand, one thing that is missing right now, in D and in most languages, is a standard way to display graphics. By that I mean if we had in Phobos a module that could just open a window and let you draw things in it, it'd make learning programming much more fun and it'd be useful for rapid prototyping of anything that involves graphics. It doesn't need to be complicated -- it doesn't even need to have a GUI -- just drawing things and viewing them somewhere on a screen would be great. Later on you can add click support, full screen mode and other features if deemed useful, but the goal would never be provide bindings for every piece of GUI on all platforms.

So my observation is that a cross platform full-featured GUI will always fail somewhere (mostly where those platforms differs) whereas a cross platform drawing module with display capabilities is much more universally useful, is more easily approachable, and is much less code to maintain.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.for...@michelf.com