On 2011-04-04 21:46:08 -0400, "Nick Sabalausky" <a@a.a> said:

"Michel Fortin" <michel.for...@michelf.com> wrote in message
news:indr8m$qfc$1...@digitalmars.com...
On 2011-04-04 19:55:44 -0400, Adam Ruppe <destructiona...@gmail.com> said:

The reason I wrote it was that I really miss the simplicity of DOS
programming, where with just a few lines of inline asm, you have
a dead-simple video buffer to play with.

Indeed. Today you generally have to pile up a lot of GUI code just to be
able to draw a square; all the simplicity is lost and portability is hard.

Even with SDL's D bindings?

Don't know. What is the minimal code you have to write to open a window and draw a square with SDL?

Also, you have to download the library and link to it and keep the dynamic library around with the compiled program, which is some more hassle.

But you're right that SDL comes pretty close.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.for...@michelf.com