In other words, expand more than just the tilde.

My thoughts are, if we try and take a stab at making something
intelligently decide where to store files, people will appreciate it
more than having to search the web for a right answer to something that
doesn't have one.

Just a quick idea: Maybe we could provide a set of standard directories (e.g. UserData.config, UserData.cache, …) along with a function which maps them to the the operating system defaults, i.e. the well-known directories on Windows, the $XDG_*_HOME ones on Linux, etc.

David