On 18.07.2011 15:55, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
Certainly not having that function on Windows will encourage them to
choose a wrong choice then, no?  I mean if they want to find a "home
directory" and phobos doesn't support that, then they google online, find
something like %userprofile%, use it, and maybe file a bug against phobos
for good measure :)

So there is no right answer, we should at least come up with *an* answer.
In the Windows world of de-facto standards, we're bound to start a trend ;)

What about this?

~/Application Data =>  %APPDATA%
~/Local Settings/Application Data =>  %LOCALAPPDATA% or %USERPROFILE%\Local
Settings\Application Data
etc.
Last resort:
~ =>  %USERPROFILE%

In other words, expand more than just the tilde.

Wouldn't that tend to cause the same issue? They use tilde on Linux, then get %userprofile% because they didn't change it when they port to Windows. If people know that they want %appdata%, they could just use that.

My thoughts are, if we try and take a stab at making something
intelligently decide where to store files, people will appreciate it more
than having to search the web for a right answer to something that doesn't
have one.

That could be done, here's an example I'm familiar with:
http://www.allegro.cc/manual/5/al_get_standard_path

This is designed to work across all the major platforms. Some paths will be the same on some platforms. ALLEGRO_USER_DOCUMENTS_PATH, ALLEGRO_USER_DATA_PATH, and ALLEGRO_USER_SETTINGS_PATH are probably the most relevant ones for this discussion.