Along these same lines I'm wondering why not simply call this new module
std.io <http://std.io> rather than use the existing name std.stdio?
  It'd avoid the code breaking issue and help reflect that this new
module isn't based around C's stdio FILE (at least that's what I
gather).  Also, the code is written from scratch so that's another
reason for why I don't think it should have the same name.  The only
reason I can think of is if it provided significant improvements over
the existing std.stdio without causing massive breakage.

Regards,
Brad Anderson

I think this is a good idea. I think std.io sounds and feels much better.

Mafi