On 10/6/11 4:44 AM, Regan Heath wrote:
On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 16:44:31 +0100, Andrei Alexandrescu
<seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org> wrote:

On 10/5/11 10:27 AM, Regan Heath wrote:
I understand the issue, and the point you're making below, and I agree
completely. At the same time, this particular change being as simple as
it is, and as obviously beneficial as I hope I have managed to show,
would have taken less time to simply change than it has taken to argue
about.

There is the issue that every small change creates a precedent for
similar or smaller changes. I spent this much time on this particular
issue hoping that it would improve an entire trend going forward.

I think it may have backfired somewhat. Now people are going to think no
change is possible and Andrei is an 'Ogre' when it comes to his own
modules. In situations like this some sort of precedent or impression
will always be created. The best you can do is take control of it, and
clearly define it.

In this case clearly define the conditions under which the change is
allowed i.e.
1. The interface MUST not change (retaining the getopt free function for
example)
2. The default behaviour MUST not change (retaining the current default
values for the globals)

and make that the precedent to enforce on future occasions. It should be
like "common law", defined by the first instance, changed hesitantly and
only for very good reasons.

It's a great thought, and definitely my image out there should not be that of an ogre! :o)

Problem here is, it's very difficult to come up with hard and fast rules, as inflexible rules tend to get used as justification for a variety of otherwise odd outcomes.

For example, it is possible to modify std.getopt to keep the existing interface unmodified and add a wrapper for the globals etc. Generally such constraints make the implementation (and often the interface) more difficult and convoluted, which in turn becomes a liability that must be justified by significant added value.

The only rule is, please use good judgment and focus on adding real and significant value, as opposed to shuffling the deck.